Wednesday 8 April 2009

Selling out

Listening to the news the other day I was shocked to hear that Innocent Smoothies have sold out to Coca-cola for £30m. Now, Innocent are local boys- Cambridge, and have built their business based on proper fruit, 10% of profits going to charity, and being generally nice people, with a really good product.
I know £30m is a nice round sum, and I'm sure we could all do with that in our back pockets right now but surely they could have done something else other than sell to the multi-national whose record regarding ethics is not what we would hope.
I suppose I shouldn't be so shocked, Ben and Jerry's sold out to Unilever, Pret a Manger sold out to McDonald's, of all people, and Green and Blacks organic sold to Cadbury. I really hope that Innocent do keep their ethics and beliefs- their press people said that they were hoping to pass some of their theories onto Coke and change it in a small way. Interesting to note after a spat a few years ago that Innocent had with Coca-cola about Carbon footprints, Coke actually came out on top.

No comments: