Tuesday 14 April 2009

Long live the Spring

The estate agents have removed the board, the planning applications have gone through and the new couple have moved in. The bird box is well and truely occupied, and the blue tits have been sitting on the shed roof, watching the comings and goings of the sailing fraternity, the chefs and the staff to ensure there is no rough behaviour in the neighbourhood. I've also seen them bring in the first few leaves and bits of greenery to decorate.
I was ten minutes late to work the other day due to the fact that I was watching two green woodpeckers bowing and dancing around each other. It was an amazing sight, one which I had never seen before.
Rosemary who comes in every day with her two daschunds, was telling me to watch the crested grebes. They bow and dance on the water, and apparantly run across the surface together. They are beautiful birds.
The Swifts are zooming over the lake, the Housemartins are arguing about territory and I am sure the Swallows are on their way. I have also seen Turns sitting on the buoys in the lake. They are more slender than the black headed gulls we generally have,and seem more graceful in the air.
Though Easter was a bit of a dull one for us, the birds are beginning to enjoy the Spring in earnest, and I think we should too. It's time to take time in the world. To just be for a while- take ten minutes to notice what happens around us, and watch how nature lives it life.

No comments: